If you have questions about your pelvic floor health, you need a gyno appointment! The topic is complex.
FYI, there are a number of different mesh products on the market for the use in pelvic surgery, and the FDA did remove some of these products. if you hear about this new ruling, or have questions,
l. Pelvic Organ Prolapse is a complex condition due to the failure of ligaments in the pelvic floor.
2. For years Pelvic Organ Prolapse Surgery has been performed using sutures (stitches), and essentially repairing tears or stretching of those ligaments.
3. Some mesh is designed to be used like a ‘thick stitch.’ Some is designed to replace very small segments of ligament. The ones designed to replace a small ligament like the mesh surgeries called ‘slings’ for incontinence are still in use and not covered by this FDA ruling.
4. Some operations have been designed to be fundamentally different using large pieces of mesh inserted in layers to replace large areas, these are the meshes that are now off the market.
5. There are alternative therapies, such as Kegel’s exercises and Pessaries, but Kegel’s can only exercise muscles.
6. Vaginal health improvement with energy based treatments can help these ligaments as well. The fractional CO2 treatment Mona Lisa Touch is mostly to treat the lining tissue, and has minimal effects on the lower layers that are the ligaments. ThermiVa as a RF procedure goes deeper, and can address the minor ligament failures, known as mild cystoceles, and rectoceles.