- If you are diabetic or pre-diabetic, you need help sorting your nutritional needs. So individualized counseling is important. How rapidly you need to normalize your blood sugar counts is going to be one of the first questions you may want to ask
- Individualized counseling works better than going alone with no advice, and translates into a reduced Hba1c level (blood sugar measured over 3 months) by 2% even when just beginning changes!
- Mediterranean diets for adults with Type 2 diabetes works well, and compared to those on other diets studied, most diabetics did the best with this diet. So trying to incorporate these changes into your diet is important. .
- Low Carbohydrate diets can be so controversial. This is defined by getting less than 45% of your calories from carbs. First of all, these can be very hard on the kidneys, and diabetics may have kidney problems. While some diabetics can do well on these, and some can even lose weight quickly on these it is suggested you be monitored by your physician and not tackle this without guidance. Both the Hba1c and the blood fat triglyceride decreased on this. Those who also cut calories will lose weight.
- Paleolithic diets do better than old fashioned diabetic diets, and nearly all measures of diabetes lab tests got better. However, if you have nutritional imbalances the same principals apply as with low carb diets: get supervision.
- Glycemic index diets involve eating foods that are known to have a low glycemic index. (skip potatoes, wheat flour, most breakfast cereals and rice). Most diabetics can control their sugar levels while eating this way verses their traditional diet, however, most diabetics do not lose weight on this type of a diet. Home blood count monitoring can help when trying to cut out whole food sources like this!
- Vegan diets, like the glycemic index diets help diabetics control their sugars and blood lipids like cholesterol, but diabetics do not lose weight just by switching to vegan.
The studies that looked into these diets, generally are comparing the effects of the diet alone, and did not try to look at strategies such as lifestyle changes, consider exercising with us at HathaYoga and Fitness. Or when you get proud, consider some refinement at Hada Cosmetic Medicine with CoolSculpting, or Emsculpting.